CMIS Campus

Our Campus

Our Buildings

Our school, the first international school in Thailand outside of Bangkok, has a long and provincial history. Our campus is a testament of this history! From the beginning as an American Presbyterian missionary residence to now as a 21st century school campus, the land on which CMIS sits has continually developed as a living & learning community with a strong sense of identity and a vision of educational excellence.

CMIS was founded in 1954, originally using the McGilvary house as a school for missionary children. In 1958, CMIS was relocated to the present campus, the Grether compund was actually built by J.W. McKaen, M.D.. Our present location is surrounded by schools, a hospital, a seminary and a university, all of which were founded by American Presbyterian missionaries. The existing buildings on the CMIS campus are as follows:

McKean House (1906)

(Administration Building)

Architect: N/A

McKean House received the 2017 Architectural Conservation Award from the Association of Siamese Architecture.

The McKean House was built in 1906 on the east side of the Ping river as the residence of James W McKean, MD (1860-1949) who was an American Presbyterian missionary and former director of McCormick Hospital. Dr. McKean initiated leprosarium in Chiang Mai.

This 550 sq.m. building built in the American Colonial Architecture style served as the residence of missionary families who came to work in northern Thailand before it became the location for Chiangmai Children’s Center (CCC) in 1957. In 1985, CCC changed it’s name to Chiang Mai International School (CMIS ).

Preschool (1958)

Architect: Prof. An Nimmanheminda

Preschool building was first to be constructed of brick but later changed to wood. The dedication of this building took place on August 13, 1958.

Auditorium (1988)

Architect: Set Co., Ltd.

Major renovation in 2017

Architect: ASANA Architect Co., Ltd.

High-School (1990)

Architect: Mr. Nopadon Piyatat

Elementary (1997)

Architect: Mr. Nopadon Piyatat

Gymnasium (2007)

Architect: Mr. Surapon Chaikhumlar

Covered Court (2017)

Architect: Mr. Dittidej Rachapattayakom

Secondary School (2018)

Architect: ASANA Architect Co., Ltd.

Learning Center & Cafeteria (2019)

Architect: ASANA Architect Co., Ltd.